Lambeth Council Leader Quits To Be Head Of Violence Reduction Unit For Sadiq Khan
The Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has appointed Lambeth Councils leader Lib Peck to run his Violence Reduction Unit (VRU)
Sadiq Khan announced that Lambeth Councils former Executive Member for Crime and Public Protection (leading London boroughs’ cross-party work to keep Londoners safe) and current leader of Lambeth Council has been appointed to lead London’s new Violence Reduction Unit (VRU).
Set up in 2018, the Violence Reduction Unit is bringing together specialist in health, local government, police, probation and community organisation to learn and apply the successful public health approach used in Glasgow and elsewhere to tackle violent crime and the underlying causes of violent crime.
The full time roles and responsibilities appointed to the former Lambeth Council leader will include:
• Development of a long-term partnership strategy to tackle violence across the capital;
• Responsibility for the VRU’s budget and resources, including contributions from the Mayor and other partners;
• Building and leading an effective team with a diverse skillset and background;
• Being the focal point of contact for the Mayor, Deputy Mayors and senior leaders of the other partner organisations involved in the Unit, including the Metropolitan Police Service, London Boroughs, criminal justice agencies, health services, schools and community organisations;
• Making sure that communities and young people are properly represented and consulted.
Photo taken by the BBC
Violence Reduction has been a core part of Lib’ career within Lambeth and in the third sector. She has been the leader of Lambeth Council since 2012 where she focused on addressing domestic violence and supported the adoption of a public health approach to violence reduction in the borough in March 2018 so it will be no surprise to her what is expected.
Speaking at last weeks Mayor’s Question Time London Assembly Member Susan Hall says that Mr Khan has missed an opportunity to appoint a specialist in crime. Ms Hall expanded more on Twitter about Lib Peck’s record in Lambeth.