The National Basketball Association (NBA) will honour basketball legend and icon Kobe Bryant nick named “Black Mamba” in next months all stars game in Chicago.
The NBA made the announcement that the game will take on a new format which will increase the level of the competition, creating additional excitement, and make all quarters count for charitable purposes. A new fourth quarter format will honour the La Lakers epitome of greatness and 5 times NBA champion.
The new format
- Both teams – captained by LeBron James and Giannis Antetokounmpo – will play for Chicago-based community organisations.
- They will compete to win each of the first three quarters, each of which will start at 0-0 and last 12 minutes.
- The community organisation selected by the winner of each quarter will receive $100,000 (£76,441.50).
- At the start of the fourth quarter, the game clock will be turned off and a Final Target Score will be set.
- This will be determined by the leading team’s total cumulative score and adding 24 points – Kobe Bryant’s jersey number.
- For example, if the cumulative score at the end of the third quarter is 100-95, the Final Target Score would be 124.
- The fourth quarter will be untimed and the first team to reach the Final Target Score wins.
- The winning team will win $200,000 (£152,849) for its chosen community organisation.
The 69th NBA All-Star Game will take place at Chicago’s United Center on Sunday February 16th 2020.
Kobe is survived by wife Vanessa and three daughters.